Bell Pepper Nacho Boats
If nachos rock your world, you are going to fall in love with this recipe. These healthy, protein-rich nachos from Gale Compton of SkinnyMs has created nachos that are not only healthy, but rich in protein as well. Use bell peppers, cheddar cheese, and ground turkey to give you a delicious post-workout snack. Replacing chips with bell peppers cuts down on unnecessary carbs and lean turkey keeps your fat count at a minimum!
Serving Size: 2 boats (Yields 18 boats)
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Trans Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 50 mg
Sodium: 293 mg
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g
What You’ll Need:
● 1 pound lean ground turkey
● 1 tsp chili powder
● 1 teaspoon cumin
● 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
● 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
● 3/4 cup salsa, no sugar added
● 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
● 3 bell peppers
1. Remove seeds, core, and membrane from bell peppers then slice each one into 6 vertical pieces where they dip down. Set sliced bell peppers aside.
2. Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Cook until the turkey loses its pink color and is cooked through. Drain off any fat.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Combine cooked turkey with spices and salsa. Evenly distribute mixture into the bell pepper boats, top with cheese. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot.
● NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add filled nachos, cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven and add additional toppings, If desired.
● Optional Ingredients: sliced Jalapeno peppers, diced avocado, fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream, or sliced green onions.
If you loved this recipe, comment down below and let us know! Also be sure to give some love to SkinnyMs for posting this on her website!